Sunday 4 May 2014

Precedent park

Friday's visit to Greenwich Peninsula Ecology Park:

It was a useful and enjoyable trip - so good to go outdoors! - but took the best part of the day which fills me with fear when I think of all the drawings still not done. There are several zones of different habitats (marsh, coppiced willow, Alder carr, summer meadow, shingle beach, shallow pools etc) which makes the most of not a particularly huge site. Even on a gloomy day the Phragmites stands were glowing golden (not so obvious on the pics!) and the wet woodland looked gorgeous and lush, wild but not scruffy like Dickens Park's nature areas. The sky really feels part of the landscape too, as it's mostly quite open and the water reflects its mood right back. Overwhelming impressions were of swaying, rustling and birdsong - there was a lot of loud building work going on nearby but this seemed to fade into the background.

Working on my planting plan now, and I'm sure the visit will help visualise it with more clarity. Quite concerned about the planting by the deck though, which is not wetland - it needs to be really good, and I'm not sure I've got the knowledge. It's mostly bedding at work, and that's really not the same.

I walked back through the Millennium Village central park. It's planted with what I suppose is stylised woodland, which I couldn't make my mind up about. It was eyecatching and the cushiony underplanting with uniform trunks rising out of it looked very effective when I was walking. Standing still and noticing the uber-regularity of the planting gave me the shivers a bit though, a bit too regulated for my taste. Not many people around so it felt a bit bleak and static, but it wasn't the nicest of days - maybe it's a bit more lively on a sunny weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment